Saturday, February 6, 2016

Book IX: Bring Back Achilles


Book IX
It looks as though Achilles might have gotten his way, because as Book IX opens, the Greeks are in a panic. Agamemnon steps forward and addresses his fellow commanders, saying that it is time to give up. Zeus has turned his back on him and all is lost:

"Great Zeus of Cronus,
Is a hard god, friends. He's kept me in the dark
After all his promises, all his nods my way
That I'd raze Ilion's walls before sailing home.
It was all a lie, and I see now that his orders
Are for me to return to Argos in disgrace..." (lines 20-4).

However, Diomedes steps forward and challenges Agamemnon, saying "wait a minute, I'm not supporting this hang-dog defeatism! You were the one who called me 'weak' and said I was not as good as my dad! You can split if you want to, but as for myself and my fellow Achaeans will stay and fight--and if they don't, Sthenelus and I have staying power" (paraphrase, lines 35-53).

In steps Nestor and suggests they put aside the quarreling and eat. Meanwhile, in a private gathering with Agamemnon, Nestor suggests they ask Achilles to come back and help them out. He reminds Agamemnon of the way he insulted Achilles and took his prize away--thus they really need to heap on the gifts and compliments. Agamemnon replies, admitting that yes, his temper tantrum went over the top, and he behaved like a madman. If Achilles will come around, he will bestow all the gifts of treasure he can muster. If Achilles refuses, well, he's worse than Hades. Besides, I am an elder and a king!

The Greeks locate Achilles in his encampment, playing the lyre and singing. Only Patroclus is with him. Achilles greets them and they eat again.

In lengthy supplication, Odysseus recounts to Achilles all the fortunes (the racehorses, the towns, the beautiful women from Lesbos, Briseis, whom he never touched, gold and so on) he will receive if he just turns loose of his grudge against Agamemnon. If not, think for a moment about all the others "suffering up and down the line," and how great it would be for Achilles if he killed Hector.

Achilles whines about being whined at. He's done all of this fighting and pillaging and sacrificing, and for what? His spoils are taken from him--in fact, he's the only one this was done to. He's not impressed with all that is offered and scoffs at Odysseus (hence at Agamemnon) for having the cheek to offer such things. He doesn't want Agamemnon's daughter, or any of the other gifts he's been offered and he flatly refuses to bend. Why? Because none of these things measures up to a man's life.

He tells them:
"My mother Thetis, a moving silver grace,
Tells me two fates sweep me on to my death.
If I stay here and fight, I'll never return home,
But my glory will be undying forever.
If I return home to my dear fatherland
My glory is lost but my life will be long,
And death that ends all will not catch me soon" (lines 424-9).

Then Phoenix steps forward and starts crying. He chastises Achilles through his tears for his behavior and for basically being a spoiled brat. Phoenix recounts the story of his own life, when his mother coerced him into sleeping with his father's concubine so that she would reject the older man. His father found out and cursed him, saying that Phoenix would never have children. Then he ran away and was taken in by Peleus, Achilles' father. Phoenix acts as an older brother to Achilles, feeding and caring for him. However, he admits the real reason he sought to 'make [Achilles] [his] child. What was it? (page 267).

Phoenix tells another long story--this time with a discernible moral for Achilles to notice. It's a warning to go ahead and drop his anger and accept the treasure being offered already.

Still, Achilles is adamant about his refusal. He won't return to war until Hector starts destroying his own army. He offers Phoenix a nice, soft bed. The Greeks return word to Agamemnon, and he and his company are shocked at Achilles' stubbornness.

No comments:

Post a Comment